So finally I decided to use one of my underused servers and deploy my Gemini server, and host some content.
If you don’t have a Gemini browser, I guess this link is not very useful, but there you go:
I found it quite funny because, after configuring everything and checking that all was working, obviously nobody is going to visit my capsule –like a website in the Gemini jargon–, because nobody knows it is there.
But it was exciting nevertheless. I used the opportunity to write a short “how to”: deploying SpaceBeans on Debian.
It is using
systemd to manage the service. Nothing special, but it works
nicely. Not 100% happy with the logs, so I may revisit that part explaining a
few options to deal with them.
One thing I’ve noticed is that the library I use to parse the command line depends on a library that is a bit heavy. Well, not that much in the grand scheme of things, but let’s say that adding 10MB to a project like this, sounds excessive.
So on the next version it will use scopt, that is excellent and it will make the distributed bundle smaller. It is a learning process. Worrying about 10MB in my day job would be laughable, so I’m not used to it.
I have a few more ideas to add to the sever, so I may implement something from that list before making a new release.