This is a game targeting the Amstrad CPC 464 (or later, although it only requires 64K of RAM).
Yet another shift at the working site, or that’s what Rick thought!
Intergalactic trouble is coming to town, and Rick only wants to get his job done and enjoy a nice coffee. Help him to repel the invasion by completing 50 stages in this single screen arcade game.
Disclaimer: all characters and events in this game are entirely fictional!
How to Play
Stun the enemies, so they can’t hurt you, and then kick them back to outer space. You can stun them by using your bricks or by hitting them with other enemies, causing a chain reaction.
Some enemies will drop an item that will increase your score (coffee), give you more time (sand clock), or stun all the enemies on the screen (dynamite).
Every 10,000 points you will get an extra life, up to 9.
A stage must be cleared in 60 seconds, or the Time Monster will appear and chase Rick until he loses a life (or the stage is cleared).
There are 50 stages in total.
The game can be controlled with the keyboard or a joystick. The keys can be redefined.
|Action||Joystick||Keyboard (default keys)|
|Move left||←||Cursor left|
|Move right||→||Cursor right|
|Throw a brick||Fire||Space|
Press ‘p’ to pause/resume the game.
Press ESC to end the game and go back to the menu.
- Walker: scouts of the alien crew, the Walker can be found in large numbers. Other than that, they are not too dangerous, right?
- Shooter: armed with a blaster, this is the most common soldier. They will shoot Rick when he is in range.
- Brains: this type of enemy is smart for a reason: look at its brains! They will try to ambush Rick, so always keep an eye on their… brains.
- U.F.O.: you could say this is a flying object of an unknown nature, although we know from where they are coming from (outer space!). They can’t navigate in narrow spaces, so use that to your advantage.
- Chief: it has brains and a blaster, born to command! The chief is more trigger-happy than the shooter, and is smart too!
- Worm: capable of blending the space-time, Worms can link two disparate points and… teleport. It can be hard to deal with because now it is here and all of a sudden, is gone!
- Robot: your bricks can’t damage its strong shell. Your only chance to get rid of them is by either hitting them with another enemy or by using dynamite. Always dynamite!
- Time Monster: this enemy will only appear when you take too long to dispatch all the enemies on screen. It can’t be killed, it can’t be stopped. You can only run and hurry up to finish the stage.
Brick Rick Collector’s Edition
The game is available on cassette, 3” and 3.5” diskette. Please visit Brick Rick at Poly Play online shop for more information.
This game is powered by cpcrslib by Artaburu and Arkos 2 Player by Targhan.
Like Rick, I love coffee!
Version 1.0.1 (2020-10-07)
brick-rick.zip (CDT, DSK, CPR and manual inside)
Thanks to José María Velo, Antxiko and Guindako for their help testing the game.
If you don’t have the hardware, you can still play it in an emulator.